Electric appliances and lights are great but they also waste a lot of heat that gets added to your home. Take incandescent lights, for example, these lights convert almost 90% of the electricity used into heat.
Or if you’ve been holding on to your old fridge, if you replace it with a newer model, you will save a ton on your electric bills. You don't always have to spend a lot of money to maintain the investment you've made in your central air conditioning system.
Understanding the different parts of your HVAC system and keeping it running efficiently will keep your system in top working condition for when you need it most this summer.
We recommend using the helpful tips described along with regular maintenance to save money and reduce the chance of a problem developing with your system. Air conditioning repair NJ will be at your doorstep if you need.
In this blog, however, we are highlighting the best, no-cost suggestions for air conditioning maintenance. These tips can help keep air conditioning systems healthy as the weather gets warmer and homeowners will begin turning on their units.
1. Clean around the outdoor condenser unit. Your outdoor unit will work most efficiently if it is clean and clear of debris. Vacuum indoor vents and keep vents unblocked. You can vacuum dust and any debris away from indoor supply vents to help maintain steady airflow from your system. Air conditioning repair Wayne NJ suggests you to keep items like blinds, furniture and toys away from blocking the vents.
2. Increase your thermostat by a few degrees. Typically, adjusting temperatures 5 – 8 degrees (down in winter, up in summer) can help save money and energy. With a programmable thermostat, you can automatically adjust the temperature for different times of the day or during times you are going to be away from home for several hours.
3. Keep lamps and other heat producing appliances away from your thermostat. Having heat producing appliances near your thermostat will tell it that the air in your home needs to be cooled more, causing the system to run longer and work harder than it may need to.
4. Keep curtains and blinds closed in the heat of the day. When direct sun hits the windows in your home, keeping your curtains or blinds closed can keep some of the heat from warming the inside of your home.
5. Clear your drain line. There is a drain by the indoor cooling coil, typically mounted above the furnace in the basement. If you flush one cup of chlorine bleach down your air conditioning drain and rinse it with a gallon of water, you can keep your drain clear through the summer. Keeping your drain line clear can save your basement from taking on water if the drain becomes blocked.
6. Avoid using your dryer and oven in the hottest hours of the day. Running your dryer will cause warm air to be drawn into your home and using your oven will add additional warm air to your home, causing your air conditioner to have to work harder.
7. Insulate any exposed ductwork. Make sure ductwork that runs through an unconditioned space is properly sealed so it doesn’t leak any of your conditioned air. You can fix visual leaks with a specialized duct-sealing tape that is UL 181-rated, but be sure a professional also checks the ductwork during your next scheduled maintenance visit. It’s also recommended that your ductwork be insulated using the proper thickness duct insulating material.
8. Another way to improve your air conditioners efficiency is to reduce the heat gain. Here are some easy ways to reduce your AC’s heat gain.
9. If your house is leaky, it’s difficult to cool it. If your house is older there’s a good chance it’s never been air sealed. Air sealing your home will help your heat gain problem, especially if there are leaks on your ceiling because heat rises.
10. Speaking of the attic, that’s the first place you want to check for insulation, as that’s where the highest temperatures are. If your attic insulation is less than a new home should have, then you’ll want to add more insulation.
Triolo contracting has been serving in New Jersey for a long time now. Franklin lakes air conditioning provides you with timely services at the best available rates. So, feel free to contact us and help you.